There seems to be a day dedicated for almost anything and everything these days. Some may even be considered silly by most, but there are many days dedicated to an awareness to help us take a step back from our hectic lives by reminding us to unwind and enjoy for better health. On April 23rd, 2021 National Picnic Day encourages everyone to pack up a lunch or dinner and take it outdoors.
There are numerous benefits from spending time outside, even if it is just right in our own backyard!
- Outdoors – Spending time outdoors, basking in nature, breathing fresh air, invigorates us and creates a feeling of rejuvenation, while lowering our heart rate, blood pressure and stress.
- Family bonding – Spending time with family is always a rewarding experience, and having regular picnics eliminating electronics, is a great way to start a family tradition, allowing us to stay connected.
- Mood booster – Eating outdoors is a natural mood booster. You can be amazed how much the lack of sun in your body can affect your mood. There is something about the fresh air, sunshine, and a good breeze to lift your mood.
- Relieves stress – Picnics are a great stress buster as it helps reduce the stress and anxiety in our daily lives. It is great way to ease up on the responsibility from time to time by relaxing in nature.
- Builds stronger bones – The vitamin D we get from the sun is needed for maximum absorption of calcium from the intestine, which helps build strong bones and teeth. Getting enough vitamin D can help you reduce your chances of getting bone deterioration.
So pack that basket, grab a blanket, head outdoors and reap the benefits!
Stay safe and be well!