Spring is just around the corner…. A second chance at those New Year’s Resolutions!
Many of us welcome spring with big smiles and open arms, waving those bitter cold winter nights and all the snow good-bye for now.
The rise in temperatures along with the daily return of a bright sun promotes new energy in all of us. A perfect time to jump start healthy habits for you and your loved ones.
- Aim to get 10 servings of Fruits or Vegetables Daily: A great thing about spring is the abundance of fresh, seasonal food. By achieving this serving daily, you will not only feel great, but you will meet the recommended serving to reduce your risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, cardiovascular disease and more.
- Skip that Soda: As satisfying and refreshing that ice cold soda is, tasting so harmless, diet or not, in the long run its better to drink an ice-cold lemon water or iced tea.
- Spend more time outdoors-Walking just 30 minutes each day burns calories and provides health benefits nature has to offer. Fresh air is so good for you in many ways and just being in nature can improve your blood pressure and heart rate, as well as boost positive emotions.
- Declutter and create more space for yourself: Spring cleaning your home and spring cleaning your health go hand in hand. Physical space allows room for mental space, so decluttering your personal space can serve as a symbolic way to rid your mind of negative thoughts.
- Prioritize a good sleep schedule: It’s the most important biorhythm that too often gets ignored. We may not realize the damage we are doing due to lack of sleep until it’s too late. For those of us shortchanging ourselves of at least 7 to 9 hours of sleep, commit to starting your nightly wind down 30-60 minutes earlier for a healthier you. A routine good night sleep can reduce risk of high blood pressure, diabetes, heart attack and obesity to name a few, and making such a commitment to yourself is extremely worthwhile.
Stay safe & be well,