The statistics relating to cardiovascular disease are staggering, not just in the US but globally. It is by far the leading cause of death to all humanity. It is due to the devastating nature of these statistics that BIOLIFE4D was founded.
- Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in the USA for both men and women.
- 1 in 3 deaths of women each year in the USA are from heart disease
- 1 in 4 deaths of men each year in the USA are from heart disease
- Heart diseases claim more lives each year than all forms of cancer combined.
- Heart disease is the #1 cause of death in virtually all developed countries throughout the world. It is the cause of 1 out of every 3 deaths globally.
- In just in the USA someone has a heart attack every 34 seconds
- Every 30 seconds, someone dies in the USA of a heart disease related event that could have potentially been treated with tissue regeneration or replacement.
- In just the USA it is estimated that the direct and indirect cost of heart disease through health expenditures and lost productivity more than $320 Billion annually
- On a global level, it is projected that we will spend over 1 trillion dollars per year dealing with cardiovascular disease by 2030.
- People with risk factors for heart disease, a few of which include including diabetes, physical inactivity and being overweight, are increasing exponentially every year.
- Every year, about 800,000 in the USA alone have their 1st heart attack; an additional 500,000 people in the USA alone have a 2nd heart attack.
- The number of people diagnosed with heart failure is projected to increase by 46% by 2030
- While in 2015 approximately 125,000 people in the USA were waiting for a lifesaving organ transplant, there were only approx. 13,000 total donors.
- Only about 3,500 heart transplants took place in the US last year, and only 5,000 heart transplants took place globally last year.
- Over 98% of the people on the heart transplant waiting list did NOT receive a heart transplant last year.
- The gap between the number of people waiting for life saving organ transplants and the number of actual transplant procedures which take place increases dramatically each year.
- Among the people fortunate enough to receive a lifesaving heart transplant, unfortunately it is really more of trading one disease for another. While the donor heart can save your life, nearly half of all recipients die within 10 years of transplantation due to complications relating to using a donor’s organ including outright rejection or challenges from the immunosuppressant therapy required to prevent rejection.
This is why the primary focus at BIOLIFE4D is to counter the devastating effects of heart disease globally, impacting all of humanity, from the youngest of children to the oldest of adults. It is our goal to offer a viable, sustainable solution where there currently is none.